PPM 83-400 Satisfactory Progress Rule on www.olc.edu

Last Update

<<- Back to TOC
<-- Back
                                BOT 05-27-10, 8-26-10, 03-01-12, 06-21-12, 02-27-14, 01-29-15
                      Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

In order to qualify and receive Federal Student Aid, the U.S. Department of Education 
requires that students maintain satisfactory academic progress in a program of study that 
leads to a degree program.

Federal Student Aid includes Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational 
Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Federal Work-Study. Also, other agencies including 
tribal and scholarship programs may require students to maintain Satisfactory Academic 
Progress for their aid programs. 

The entire academic record of all students will be monitored at the end of each semester 
to ensure compliance with the requirements specified below. Therefore, even the 
academic record of those who have not received Federal Student Aid in the past will 
impact future eligibility. Failure to meet the following standards will result in financial 
aid suspension ineligibility for students who may have otherwise qualified for Federal 
Student Aid. 

Satisfactory academic progress has both a qualitative and quantitative measure to monitor 
a student’s progress toward a degree or certificate:

1) Qualitative Requirement: Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average.
     a)   Freshman (1-30 attempted credit hours) – 1.50
     b)   Sophomore (31-60 attempted credit hours) – 2.00
     c)   Junior (61-90 attempted credit hours) – 2.00
     d)  Senior (91 or more attempted credit hours) – 2.00

2) Quantitative Requirements: 

The students must demonstrate their pace of progression through their program of study. 
The pace is measured at the end of each term. The students must satisfactorily complete 
67% of their courses in which the student have attempted overall.


Term 1					Term Pace			Cumulative Pace
9 hours completed 			= 75% 				9	=75%
12 hours attempted 							12_________

Term 2
6 hours completed			= 50%				15	=62.5%
12 hours attempted							24__________

Term 3

12 hours completed			= 100%				27	=75%
12 hours attempted 							36_________
“Satisfactory Completion” means earning a passing grade of A, B, C, D, or P. Grades of 
I, W, or F are not considered passing grades. 

If a student withdraws during the first two weeks of the term, it is not considered credit 
hours attempted. All courses withdrawn from the third week of the term to the end will be 
counted as credit hours attempted.

Incomplete grades are considered credit hours attempted.

* Please see the Credit Hour Maximum Policy for the required completion rate to receive 
  a degree at OLC. 

Remedial Courses
Remedial courses will be counted towards the students’ overall pace of progression and 
the cumulative hours attempted.

Courses that are failed or withdrawn from, then repeated are considered in the hours 
attempted. Title IV funding can only pay a student one time for repeating a course that 
the student has passed with a D. In accordance with Title IV (PELL, FSEOG, FWS) 
regulations, test out courses will not be paid by Title IV aid.

Following each semester the Grade Point Average and number of credits attempted and 
completed for each Financial Aid recipient will be reviewed. 

Non-Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial Aid Warning
If a Financial Aid recipient fails to satisfy the Satisfactory Progress Rule in a 
particular semester, the recipient will be given a Financial Aid Warning during the 
succeeding semester of enrollment.  Students are still eligible to receive Financial Aid 
during the warning period, but they must satisfactorily complete 67% of their overall 
enrollment with a cumulative Grade Point Average of: 1.50 for Freshman and 2.0 for 
Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors. Unless the student totally withdraws from all of 
their courses any time during the semester. 

Financial Aid Ineligible 
   1.	If a Financial Aid recipient fails to comply during the warning period, the 
        Student will be placed on Financial Aid Ineligible status for all financial aid.
   2.	When a Financial Aid recipient totally withdraws from all their courses 
        anytime during the semester, they will automatically be placed on Financial 
        Aid Ineligible status for all financial aid.  

Appeal of Financial Aid Ineligibility
   1. 	A student may appeal Non-Satisfactory Progress by completing the Financial 
        Aid Appeal Form and attach supporting documents to the Financial Aid Office 
        by mid-term of the term during which the student is submitting an appeal for 
        ineligible status.
        a.  Reasons why he/she did not achieve minimum academic requirements 
            which should include any type of extenuating circumstances they may have 
            been experiencing at the time.  
            Extenuating Circumstances that will be considered but not limited to are:  
            illness, death in the family, injury, casualty losses due to weather 
            (hurricane, tornado, mud slide, ground subsidence and other natural 
            disasters), fire, theft, acts of God, or terrorism. 

        b.  An explanation of what has changed that will allow the student to make 
            Satisfactory Academic Progress at the end of the next term.

        c.  The appeal request will include an academic plan showing how the student 
            will make SAP and the student must make academic progress under the 
            plan at the end of the next term.

        d.  Students may have up to three appeals – but must be for different reasons.

   2. 	An appeal Committee will review the appeal and determine whether the 
        Financial Aid appeal is justified. The appeal committee’s decision is final.  

        The student will be advised in writing of the decision for approval or reason of 
        denial of his/her appeal no later than five days after receipt of such appeal.

        a.  If the appeal is approved and the student can demonstrate that they can 
            make Satisfactory Academic Progress in one term they will be placed on 
            Financial Aid Probation for one term.
        b.  If the appeal is approved and student cannot demonstrate that they can 
            make Satisfactory Academic Progress in one term, they will be required to 
            submit an academic plan. This plan has to show how they are going to get 
            back on track in a reasonable time. The plan will demonstrate the students 
            map to graduation.

            The academic plan will then replace the SAP standards. At the end of each 
            term, the student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress will be measured 
            against their plan. The students will have to follow the plan in order to 
            receive financial aid.
            If the student fails or withdraws from any courses on their plan, the student 
            they will again be required to meet the minimum SAP requirements in order 
            to be eligible for any type of financial aid:
            1.	67% overall completion rate
            2.	1.5 (Freshman) 2.0 (All other students) overall grade point average

        c.  If the student’s appeal is not approved, the student will not be eligible for 
            financial aid until they meet the minimum SAP requirements and is able to 
            complete their degree within the maximum timeframe policy.


The U.S. Department of Education has established a limit on the number of credit hours a 
student can attempt and still remain eligible for Federal Student Aid. This limit is based 
on 150% of credit hours needed to complete the degree for which the student is pursuing.

This will allow for curriculum changes, repeats, and enrichment course work that may be 
required for the field of degree. 

   *	A Two-Year Associate may be 60 credit hours x 150% = 90
   *	A Four – Year Bachelor may be 128 credit hours x 150% = 192
   *	A Two-Year Master may be 36 credit hours x 150% = 54

This includes all attempted Oglala Lakota College courses as well as all transfer credit 
hours. In addition, this includes all semesters at Oglala Lakota College with or without 
financial assistance. 

Academic Progress toward the degree program will be measured at the end of each 
semester. The student will receive an update, as to the amount of financial aid left, with 
the satisfactory progress letter at the end of each semester.

If at any time, it becomes mathematically impossible for a student to complete their 
program with the number of credits left in their 150% timeframe – the student is no 
longer making Satisfactory Academic Progress and not eligible for Title IV aid.

PELL Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU)
The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is 
limited by a new federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding. Since 
the maximum amount of Pell Grant funding a student can receive each year is equal to 
100% the six-year equivalent is 600%. This is in effect as of the academic year 2012-

This includes all past Pell Grant awards each student received and the awards coming in 
the future semesters. 

Change in Major
Students wishing to change their major plan should notify the Registrar’s office in 
writing, who will then notify the Financial Aid office so that a determination of eligibility 
for the new program of study can be made. Determination shall be based on credits 
attempted and earned that can transfer into the new major. 

Dual Majors 
Students can only declare one major. Each semester, courses will be verified that they are 
on the students’ current degree plan. All Title IV funding will only pay for courses that 
are on each students’ degree plan. If a student chooses to take classes not on their status 
sheet, they will be liable for tuition and fees of the course(s) not on their degree plan.

Transfer Credits
Transfer credits earned at another institution that are accepted at Oglala Lakota College 
toward the degree a student is currently pursuing shall be used in computing the total 
credits attempted and earned. 

Once a student earns a Bachelors Degree, they no longer eligible for a Federal PELL 

Document Version Pdf Version

Olc Main Page

Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS! Viewable With Any Browser